Thursday, October 1, 2009

Wild Animal Safari

Me and all my boys (minus Daddy) took a little trip to Strafford to visit the Wild Animal Safari. This place has been 30 minutes from my house for 7 years and I have never been! It is a wild animal sanctuary that you can drive your car through and feed the animals. Sounds like tons of fun and a great educational experience for the kids, right?
Maybe if I hadn't been the teacher.
I think I just instilled fear into their hearts. I really didn't intend to, but I was down-right scared!
So, I got a bag of food along with our tickets. We start driving through and immediately see a camel. Awesome! He's walking toward us...cool!

And then I realize that he is going to stick his entire head into our vehicle. OH MY GOODNESS. Have you ever had a camel in your car? You don't want to. Here I am...trying to get a good picture while also rolling the window up on the camels head. After I took this pic I swear he kicked my van. I now realize why the lady told my they aren't responsible for damages.

So we decided to crack the window...just to be safe. The lighting is bad, but Christopher is carefully sliding a food pellet out the crack into the camels mouth.

He couldn't believe he fed a camel!
So if you think the camels are the scariest thing, well, you are wrong. Look at this! Huge ostrich eyes. Spikey ostrich hair. Pointy death inflicting ostrich beak. SCARY!!! I rolled the window up on a few of them while yelling "shoo shoo!"
I think the funniest thing about this picture is that the ostrich and Christopher have the same exact expression on their face. I think they are both thinking "WHAT is THAT??"
I still see this at night...and wake up in a sweat!
Now, moving on to the non-life threatening animals. Although this pig was disgusting and fat and just plain gross I was so glad to stop and look at him for a while since there was no chance of him getting into my car.
And there was one lonely zebra. So gorgeous.

It was a fun learning experience for all!

1 comment:

  1. This post is hilarious. Made me laugh out loud. I went there once with Stan and our niece -- she was 2 or 3 (this was quite some time ago under their previous ownership). We were in Stan's beloved Yukon and there were goats running along side the vehicle bucking at the side mirrors. I haven't laughed that hard in my life! :) Good times.

    ReplyDelete